In 1936 Amedeo Cantagalli opened his small shop along Viale Vaticano for the production of artisan looms. Cantagalli looms were painted by the greatest artists of the time, collaborating with various painters and groups, among them the artists of the Roman School, active in Rome between 1928 and 1945 and the artists of the "Forma 1" Abstractist group founded in 1947.
With time and the certainty of the high quality of the products offered, the looms have, therefore, begun to fill the shelves of the most famous Belle Arti shops in Rome. In the 60s the production of looms increased dramatically and, from the workshop near San Pietro, the business moved to a new and more spacious laboratory in Montespaccato. The start of a collaboration with the group of artists of the School of Piazza del Popolo dates back to the same period. Today the head of the workshop is Amedeo's son: Fausto Cantagalli, founder of the Romana Telai, who continues the family tradition in the same paternal workshop.
Here they produce looms, with and without canvas, in wood, aluminum, aluminum-wood, of every shape, size, thickness, for this reason, the looms are requested by artists, restorers, galleries, museums, academies, art schools, superintendents.
The different textures of the fabrics have a noticeable influence on the pictorial rendering: fine textures such as that of linen allow more minute finishes, hemp or jute are suitable for freer pictorial performances or large works. Originally, the canvas was applied by glue to the wooden boards. From the Renaissance the canvas begins to be nailed and stretched on mobile looms, equipped with keys to ensure tension, creating the type of support still used today. This system guarantees a constant tension of the canvas, allows the loom to be replaced in the event of deformations over time and facilitates the transport of the works, as the canvas can easily be removed from the loom and rolled up considerably reducing its size.