Transport Museum of Atac
In the heart of the Capital there is a hidden garden that hides ancient treasures: here, between palms and Mediterranean plants, behind the Pyramid of Cestia, at the crossroads between the Aventine, Ostiense and Testaccio there is a permanent exhibition of historic locomotives and trams restored, ancient cars that over the years have transported hundreds of citizens through the streets of Rome. Right here, a stone's throw from the post offices of Libera and De Renzi in Via Marmorata, a jewel of rationalist architecture of the 1930s, these vehicles have been subtracted from the deterioration of time and the oblivion of memory, in a city that in recent years he has seen the number of vehicles, buses and cars multiply. The historic trams and locomotives are a concrete testimony of the various public transport companies that have followed one another over the years: the last century compared to the city movements but also for others, those that led to the sea, to the Castelli Romani, to Fiuggi and Viterbo.
The Transport Museum of ATAC S.p.A. represents a small pearl enclosed by as many beauties so different, variegated and opposed in this quadrant: on one side the Pyramid of Caius Cestius behind which is hidden the Acatholic Cemetery, on the other the Museum of the Liberation of Porta San Paolo, from the seat of ACEA and from the Ostiense railway junction, a few steps from the Montemartini Museum, the streets of street art and night clubs. The subway station, adjacent to the museum, was built at the same time as the railway at the beginning of 1919, after the inauguration of December 30, 1918 held in the presence of Vittorio Emanuele III on a project by Marcello Piacentini.
Once inside the museum complex it is possible to see the subway B and the line that leads to the sea, in Ostia. The former summer ticket office, formerly the support of the main one during the summer, delimits the Museum Park towards the Pyramid, fully confirming the growing demand for transport for the city beach in times that almost completely ignored the private car. Born thanks to the will, passion and foresight, of Eng. Angelo Curci, the Park Museum was inaugurated on September 18, 2004 in conjunction with the first White Night held in the Capital. In addition to the Polo, it is possible to visit the Historical Archive and the Photographic Archive by appointment at no. 06-46958211-8207.
Historic locomotives and trams with their original charm, tickets, paper documents and black and white photographs retrace a piece of the history of Roman transport. Some of the trams on display were protagonists of historical films: from the tram of "Roma città aperta", to the historic "locomotore 05" entered in service in 1925 to connect Rome to Ostia, from the locomotors that connected Rome with the Castelli Romani towns until arriving to the large railway model of the 60s and to the small building of the former Rome-Lido Summer Ticket Office, now restored, which houses many documents of interest, including the 1919 drawings for the Ostia station signed by Piacentini. A museum on the public transport of when, to go to the beach or to the castles, the Stefer vehicles were used.