The planned cities
Recently the winners of the Jam "Città di Fondazione Regeneration"" have been awarded; it’s a 36 hour marathon of development on urban renewal included in the development program of the planned cities promoted by Regione Lazio. The winner of the contest is MetaCities, the project created by three young Pontine: Mauro Piva, Francesco Paolo Russo and Matteo Coluzzi, that involves the construction of an app that can be networked with the planned cities through a technologically advanced system, with the objective of recognize and give value to the places and their historical memory.
We get up close to these planned cities through a course dedicated to architecture and deeply rooted rationalist urban planning in these places. We start from Sabaudia, founded on August 5th, 1933, which preserves intact the original architecture. Eugenio Montuori, Alfredo Scalpelli, Luigi Piccinato and Gino Cancellotti are the four architects who in 1933 won the national competition for the design of this city. The major public buildings, dating back to the foundation, are the Town Hall, with the 42 meter civic tower, and its square, the church of the Santissima Annunziata with its Baptistery, the House, the hospital and the Post Office building, designed by Angiolo Manzoni.
Via Sabaudia you get to Pontinia, inaugurated on December 18th, 1935. The original urban nucleus is still intact and follows that of the other "new towns", made of essential but rigorous architectural features, with some supporting buildings, which are located around the central square, or in the immediate vicinity: the Town Hall with its persistent signs of fascism, the post office, the movie theater, the former Casa del Fascio (today house of Culture), the parish church of Sant’Anna, the school, the barracks , the tower of the aqueduct.
From Sabaudia we arrive in Latina, the first born in the new town (December 18th 1932) with the name of Littoria. Latina is the largest of the cities of that foundation. The master plan was designed by architect Oriolo Frezzotti, with the approval of Marcello Piacentini. To date, the historical center of the city has preserved much of the buildings, monuments and squares (some signed by Duilio Cambellotti and Angiolo Mazzoni) typical of the founding of Piazza del Popolo, the seat of Town Hall with the characteristic civic tower and so-called “Fountain of the ball” at the center; the building of the post office, that’s one of the best known works of the architect Mazzoni who could reconcile the rationalist architecture with the latest one.
The fourth and final town of our path s Aprilia, the youngest city in the province of Latina, founded on April 25th, 1936 and inaugurated 18 months later, at the end of the great works of reclamation of the Pontine Marsh. The project of its implementation was presented by the so-called Group 2PST (Concezio Petrucci, Mario (Mosè) Tufaroli, Emanuele Filiberto Paolini and Riccardo Silenzi). After the foundation the Urban Center was composed of four large buildings: Municipality, post office, church, Casa del Fascio; then Cinema Littorio and the inn had been added.