The Carlo Bilotti Museum - Aranciera of Villa Borghese is the ideal place to welcome this anthological exhibition by Giacomo Balla. An opportunity to present a focus focused exclusively on the works painted in the Villa, with an investigation of the first pictorial production of the artist who, not yet futuristic, is already turned to the study of light and color.
After the marriage with Elisa Marcucci, Giacomo Balla moved, in the summer of 1904, to an ancient monastery in via Parioli 6, the present via Paisiello, at the corner of via Nicolò Porpora.
In the cell rooms of this happy corner of nature, cut out on the outskirts of the city and very different from today's Parioli district, the painter establishes his home and paints what he sees from his studio balcony or right outside the door of the 'homes.
Until 1910, when he created the great Villa Borghese polyptych, the theme of nature on the edge of the city becomes for Balla what is for Paul Cézanne the "Montagne Sainte-Victoire": matter to investigate, to try and try again, to be scarred until abstraction.
This is one of the first experimental themes faced by the painter, presented on this occasion through about thirty works organically gathered, just as will be, at the time heroic of Futurism, the themes of the Swallow, seen from the same balcony, the Automobile in the race , the abstract Speed, the Lines force of landscape, the Transformations forms spirit, the Mercury passing in front of the sun, and so on.
In the rooms on the first floor of the Museum, a striking extension of the exhibition brings up to date the "photographic look" by Balla through a series of shots by the photographer Mario Ceppi made in the same places as the paintings on display. The care of the exhibition is by the art historian Elena Gigli, a scholar engaged for years in the cataloging of Balla's work.