In the heart of Rome stands one of the most beautiful and best preserved buildings in Rome: Palazzo Doria-Pamphili. The historic building stands solemnly between via del Corso, piazza del Collegio Romano, via della Gatta, via del Plebiscito and vicolo Doria. An important building both for its size and for the architectural quality of the various buildings set up over four centuries, it is also one of the very few buildings in Rome to still be occupied by ancient families, which preserve its exceptional heritage intact of furnishings and works of art.
The original core of the building was originally owned by the Della Rovere family; it then became the Aldobrandini family and, in the seventeenth century, it passed to the Pamphili family who enlarged it on a project by Carlo Maderno, to make it the most important inhabited building in the city, exceeded in size in Rome only by palaces that host public institutions or embassies. Bigger than some European royal palaces.
The first nucleus was formed in the mid-15th century, the palace was brought as a dowry to Camillo Pamphilj, for whose family the complex was enlarged by Antonio Del Grande with the demolition (1659) of the sixteenth-century Salviati palace, The resolution of the facade on the Corso it owes to Gabriele Valvassori, the last great works, directed by Andrea Busiri Vici, began in 1846 and continued until 1890.
The façade on the Corso is one of the most original and innovative architectures of the first half of the 18th century in Rome, marked by windows which on the mezzanine and on the ground floor have unusual Borrominian frames. The central portal is also noteworthy, where the capitals of the columns, arranged in an edge, present lilies - the heraldic symbol of the family - instead of acanthus leaves. The Doria-Pamphili saga is the result of multiple alliances between aristocratic families from all over Italy.
Among its most illustrious members was Admiral Andrea Doria and Pope Innocent X, popular in Spain for the portrait of Velázquez painted in 1649 and preserved in the palace, of which it represents the best known work of art. The monumental facade on Via del Corso is by Gabriele Valvassori who built it between 1730 and 1735 on behalf of Giovanni Andrea Doria, to celebrate the union of his family with that of his wife Anna Pamphilj. It was Valvassori himself who had the arches on the first floor of the courtyard honored, thus creating the famous gallery which winds around the courtyard where the family was able to arrange his collection of paintings and which still welcomes visitors throughout its magnificence.