EX MIRA LANZA MUSEUM
Between Viale Marconi and the Gasometer there is the former Mira Lanza soap factory, built in 1899 and closed in 1957. A part has been restored and houses the India Theater, now one of the landmarks of the Roman experimental theater. After sixty years of total abandonment, the rest of the structure had become an apocalyptic scenario, until the arrival of 999Contemproary. With just 23 thousand euros a new museum has come to life. New in all, especially in the approach: no toilets, no shop, heels are strongly discouraged.
You enter Via Amedeo Avogadro, behind the bins; the first room, obviously totally open, has been baptized Palmira: the beams blackened by the fire partly collapsed, partly still resist. The brick columns are standing: here the first intervention of the graffiti artist Seth was to color them.
Julien Seth Malland, a Parisian, illustrator and author of splendid graffiti, had already worked in the city: the Bambino Redentore in Tor Marancia is, in fact, one of his splendid works.
The contrast is evident: with the marvelous blue sky of Rome, with the brick walls and with the blackened beams. This was enough to transform the space and make it beautiful, in an unusual way. Born - practically clandestine - today, thanks to the popularity of Seth, the Museum is very visited and also known internationally.
All this proves that the concept of art, museum and exhibition space has changed, is constantly evolving, as art cannot stop itself, even at the cost of shovelling tons of waste to make it free to express itself.